So, apparently this is what a two week old broken arm looks like!

Over two weeks ago I finally talked Brent into going with me to my gym and trying out this awesome class called Pump that our friend teaches. We dropped off the kids at the kid zone and went to class. Well, in the middle of the back track, the kid zone people came in to tell me Marie had fallen off the HUGE blow up slide and was crying and couldn't be consoled. When I got there I knew we were in trouble. She was screaming, holding her arm to her side and I could tell she was in a lot of pain. Brent dropped us off at urgent care and took the older girls home. The xrays came back negative for a break so they figured it must be nurse maids elbow, a dislocation, and the doctor would "pop" it back into place.
I left the room and let Brent hold her while they put her arm back together. It should have been a quick fix, I guess a lot quicker then I thought. But something just didn't add up, she kept complaining and whining and favored her arm a lot. I kept consulting with my brother-in-law, who happens to be an orthopedic PA. He finally said I should probably get it looked at.
So, two weeks later I made a call to the Pediatric Orthopedic who took care of her broken right arm over two years ago. They got me right in and when he saw her he said lets take another picture. In we went to the fancy xray machine. It's instant and you can see it while you are moving the arm, it's cool. He kept looking and moving her and could tell she was sensitive in a certain area and after about six pictures he found it, the new bone growth around her elbow where the fracture was. But now that it's this late in the game, he gives her a sling and says she needs to wear it for two weeks.
And then the real screaming begins. Oh the tears and the pulling and the just plain stubbornness. After about a half hour of letting me know she didn't want to do this and the nice medical student safety pinning it shut she quieted down and we went to the local chili/cornbread festival at the farm, but that's a fun story for my next post, once I figure out how to get the pictures off of my teeny bopper phone! (I hope I figure it out before breaks over or it may be Christmas before you hear about it!)


2 comments:
My brother in law is an orthopedic surgeon in PA as well. He is in Harrisburg. Could they know each other? He is actually in his last year of residency.
how sad, you are horrible letting your daughter suffer like that for two whole weeks! you should be ashamed of yourself!
Post a Comment